Off Season Topcis to Discuss

Home Forums Forum Off Season Topcis to Discuss

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Pelicans Pelicans 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Pelicans
    Pelicans
    Keymaster

List the items that you want discussed in the off season here. Often times we think of changes that we want to implement throughout the season, but inevitably forget about them once the season is over.

1) Clarify when and how players are deemed to be injured and not available for the active DC. Example – Out for the next two games, out indefinitely, etc.

Lakers
    Lakers
    Keymaster

What is the current rule regarding minimum amount of games for a player to have played in the current NBA season to have their stats be their stats for the following DTNBA season? Before when Nuno was commish, I believe it was 15 games?

I remember the rule was that the player has to have played 15 games, otherwise his stats from the previous season (the season before the player didn’t play 15 games) will be used. I’m assuming the current rule is that if a player hasn’t played the minimum amount of games in the prior season, said player would be considered a rookie and be updated monthly? Just wanted to clarify what the current rule is.

I also think we should increase the salary cap when the NBA increases the cap by 5 million in comparison to when we set the current cap. I’d have to look more into average player salaries to see how this practically affects the league, but I’m pretty sure the NBA salary cap has been increasing, and will increase this year because NBA revenues have been going up. I suggest only increasing our cap when the actual NBA salary cap goes up by 5 mill, cuz that’s how much each salary point is worth.

I’ll annotate these topics as number 2 and 3:

2) Clarify minimum amount of games a player has to play to have their current season statistics lock in for the following season, and to clarify how to treat such players.

3) Discussion of increasing of DTNBA salary cap when the actual NBA does so.

Pelicans
    Pelicans
    Keymaster

4) Current criteria for injured players to make playoff roster is 60 games. Is this too high in light of the fact teams out of contention in the NBA will prematurely shut down players?

BucksGM
    BucksGM
    Keymaster

To have a player play in the playoffs I would do anything over 50% of the games played OR is healthy at the end of the season.

To have a player’s stats translated to the following season I think It should be around 33 games (40% of the season played).

I would also be in favor of increasing the cap when the NBA does. Though it should be in proportion to our own cap and be 1 year delayed since our stats are 1 year behind.

Pelicans
    Pelicans
    Keymaster

Just wanted to archive this, but we will see what happens with league audit in July:

The NBA 2014-15 salary cap is now projected to be $63.2 million and the tax level is projected to be $77.0 million. The numbers for 2015-16 are now projected to be $66.5 million and $81.0 million, respectively.

The official numbers won’t come out until July when the NBA conducts its audit.

The salary cap and luxury tax values for the current season are $58.679 million and $71.748 million, respectively, which means the new cap projection for next season represents a 7.7% increase over this season.

The original revenue forecast for 2014-15 was $4.66 billion, so with an actual revenue of $4.75 billion, the players would get 60.5% of the difference, or $54.45 million, on top of their 50% guarantee ($2,33 billion), for a total of about $2.384 billion.

The increase could make signing Carmelo Anthony far more viable for the Houston Rockets and Chicago Bulls.

Lakers
    Lakers
    Keymaster

I was just gonna post that, too. I think we need to go over the methodology of setting the 20 figure in the first place, and to apply that same methodology to the new salary cap figure.

Lakers
    Lakers
    Keymaster

5) Discuss whether a player can play in the DTNBA playoffs if he is active in the NBA playoffs.

Pelicans
    Pelicans
    Keymaster

Joey,

Regarding 5) Discuss whether a player can play in the DTNBA playoffs if he is active in the NBA playoffs.

I don’t think this is possible because it’s definitely not equitable for all of the DTNBA teams since our rosters aren’t identical to the NBA’s. Therefore, you’re going to run into the situation where only a handful of players and teams will benefit from this rule. Also, if you do this, then you have to account for players getting injured during the playoffs and create a two way street. But again, this also isn’t equitable since the DTNBA and Nba rosters aren’t identical.

GrizzGM
    GrizzGM
    Keymaster

To have a player play in the playoffs I would like to see a 41 game minimum or the player played in 80% of the teams final 20 games

To have a player’s stats translated to the following season I think it should be around 30 games. Anything less and it should revert to the previous stats or they should be treated as a rookie.

I am a huge proponent of salary increasing when the NBA does wherein we would set our cap to 21 to start the 2015 season as the NBA is increasing $5M in 2014.

warriorsgm
    warriorsgm
    Keymaster

1) i’m fine with how they are….if real life out 2 games then no big deal, out indefinitely is out without waiting 5 games.
    2) good with between 20-30 games.
    3) I’m fine either way with the salary cap, like Lewis idea too.
    4) 55 games and plays at least 1 of the team’s last 5 games is good with me

Pelicans
    Pelicans
    Keymaster

Guys,

Thanks for all of your input on these items. I’ve given the 5 topics some thought and here is my ruling. Question #3 is not quite resolved yet. Have a read. #1, #2, #4, and #5 have definitive answers.

1) Clarify when and how players are deemed to be injured and not available

Answer: We’re going to stick with the status quo (5 games missed, reports on reputable sites, Out indefinitely). I will draft something and put it up in the FAQ section at some point, but injuries will work the same. As for Joey’s suggestion to have players come back early (example…it’s Wed and rotoworld says Kobe will play on Friday), we are going to stick with the status quo again. Players are not eligible to play in the DTNBA until the day that they come back.

2) Clarify minimum amount of games a player has to play to have their current season statistics lock in for the following season, and to clarify how to treat such players.

Answer: So a 20 game sample size is about the minimum point where the sim will automatically recognize a player profile. In cases where I have to make a brand new player with a 15 game sample size for example, for some reason the sim doesn’t recognize the player when I actually run a simulation game. Even if you put that player into your active rotation, they won’t show up or contribute in the boxscore. In the past I’ve found a way to get around this, but it adds an extra step that is kind of annoying.

I can see how this 20 game limit would help a situation like Kobe Bryant or Brooke Lopez, but when you start factoring the real nba bench players who don’t see 20 games played, the list is long. Just go to ESPN or basketball reference and sort by games played. There are at least 66 players who didn’t play 20 games or more. If you used 500 minutes played that number goes up to 145. Not all of these players will be on a dtnba roster, but add that to the standard amount of rookies that I need to update every month and the work start to starts to add up considerably. Montly updates is probably one of the most annoying parts of running the sim.

So I’m still kind of undecided on this point because the thought of adding more players to update every month does not appeal to me at all. When I became commish a few years ago, I did clarify with Nuno how he updated players with only a few games as a sample size. He mentioned that if they have stats, that’s what we used and games played did not matter, so this is what we’ve been doing ever since. I do see a competetive value in updating the Kobes, Lopez and Roses of the game like rookies, but how do you separate them from the Nash’s, Ben Gordons, Carl Landry’s? I don’t think you can, which is the problem.

I guess this one is still up for thought.

#3 – Cap should go up when the NBA goes up. Keep it simple. 1 point for every 5 mil. Since we go by last years salaries, the cap in the DTNBA wouldn’t go up until next year for example if the NBA cap goes up this year.

Answer: Agree with this. If the salary cap prediction as I’ve archived in the forum thread stands, this year the cap will go up 7.7%. Increasing our cap from 20 to 21 is a 5% cap increase. It makes sense to chang our cap as the real nba does even if it gets lowered. The important thing to note here is in the body of the stated question. If the nba cap goes up this year, our won’t go up until next season becasue we use last years data.

#4 – Player is eligible if you are healthy at the end of the year. Total games played will not matter in this case. If Derrick Rose was healthy for game #82 and played 30 seconds, he is eligible for the DTNBA playoffs. If a player is injured at the end of the season, then he qualififes for the DTNBA playoffs if he has played 55 games.

Answer: The above statement is true except the old rule was 60 games if the player was injured to end the season. Since 55 games equals approx 2/3 of an 82 game season, it makes sense to change this benchmark. I am also aware that it’s not quite fair when a player is shut down at the end of season with fake injuries for real nba that are tanking. This does nothing for the integrity of our DTNBA playoffs. So…a few changes.

If you end the season healthy you qualify for the DTNBA playoffs. This remains unchanged.

If you were considered to be injured under our inury qualification criteria (see question 1) previous to the last game of the year, but activated for the final game, you are still eligible. Seeing the floor does not need to happen since we can’t control if a real NBA coach will actually give a player minutes, especially if they are not part of a real NBA rotation, but happen to be important to your DTNBA team. If you were on the active roster and available to play, you qualify for the DTNBA playoffs.

To combat the dreaded “Shut down for the year”, if a player has played in at least 1 game of the final 3 games of the regular season, they are considered eligible for the playoffs.

If a player ends the seaon injured, but has played at total of 55 games or more, they qualify for the playoffs. So if Chris Paul tears a hamstring at the beginning of April and is shut down for the remainig year, as long as he played 55 games in the regular season, he is elibible for the DTNBA playoffs.

#5 Discuss whether a player can play in the DTNBA playoffs if he is active in the NBA playoffs.

Answer: No. This was explained in the forum some time ago. “I don’t think this is possible because it’s definitely not equitable for all of the DTNBA teams since our rosters aren’t identical to the NBA’s. Therefore, you’re going to run into the situation where only a handful of players and teams will benefit from this rule. Also, if you do this, then you have to account for players getting injured during the playoffs and create a two way street. But again, this also isn’t equitable since the DTNBA and Nba rosters aren’t identical.”

Pelicans
    Pelicans
    Keymaster

Resolution:

The third tier of player that is created is someone who

Ended the season injured; and
    Played less than 20 games – We’ll call this the DRose Syndrome

2. Every team gets one DRose syndrome player to identify

A teams DRose syndrom player will be updated every month just like a rookie or DNP last year
    This designation must happen before the season starts.

3. All other players use whatever stats they have from last year as per our current method.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Off Season Topcis to Discuss’ is closed to new replies.